Good Morning Chicago DSA,
In lieu of my usual rambling intro, I’ll turn it over to Kevin Robinson, speaking on behalf of the Labor Branch and the CPS Strike Solidarity Campaign:
This is it folks: unless Lori Lightfoot and her unelected school board can make an offer to CPS teachers and staff that will substantially improve the lives of their students, CTU and SEIU members are going on strike this Thursday the 17th. And they won’t be alone – SEIU members at the Park District are walking out that day as well. And Chicago DSA will be out there, too. Our Labor Branch has been organizing community support for CPS staff for about six weeks now.
How can you help? Three things you can do right now: 1) Donate to Bread for Ed to help feed students and teachers while the strike is on. 2) Join a picket line – come to the Labor Branch meeting this Tuesday at 7p at the UE Hall for strike and picket captain training. 3) Text SOLIDARITY to 55222 to get text updates as the strike happens.
Keep up the good work, comrades. I’ll see you out there.
- Democratize ComEd 32nd Ward Canvass; 11 AM – 2 PM; Red June Cafe, 2020 N. Leavitt St.
Do you believe we should own our energy? Join us for a canvass in the 32nd Ward for the #DemocratizeComEd Campaign! For the first time in 30 years, ComEd is renegotiating its contract with the city. Now’s the time for us to push for a city-owned electric utility with an elected board, aggressive renewable energy targets, progressive rates, and green, union jobs to maintain infrastructure. If we democratize ComEd, we can serve our communities and the environment instead of investors. We will be canvassing in the 32nd Ward to talk to residents about their experiences and what we’re fighting for. Email [email protected] for more information.
- Anthony Clark For Congress Petition Collection – Austin; 12:30 – 3:30 PM; 5051 W. Chicago Ave.
Join team AC as we collect petition signatures in the Austin Community! We’ll be at the Austin Weekend Produce Market- so it’s ok if you can’t show up perfectly on time!
- West Cook Branch Meeting; 1 – 3 PM; Cicero Public Library, 5225 W. Cermak Rd.
Join the WCDSA Branch to learn more about all the exciting work being done in CDSA on the West Side! There will be snacks!
- March To Close The Camps; 1 – 3 PM; Congress Triangle Gardens (Congress and Michigan)
The US government founded its existence on genocide and slavery. These human rights abuses are all the more deplorable carried out on stolen land, on the basis of colonial borders. In the spectacular shamelessness of US capitalism, these crimes present irresistible business opportunities to corporate giants like Amazon that cash in by selling facial recognition software and cloud services. Close the concentration camps! Let them all in! No business with ICE! Decriminalize migration!
- New Member Orientation; 2 – 4 PM; United Church of Rogers Park, 1545 W. Morse Ave.
The Chicago Democratic Socialists of America are building a mass working-class movement in Chicago by taking on fights like rent control, Medicare for all, public control of utilities, supporting striking workers, building grassroots support for Bernie, and ending police brutality and immigrant detention. There are so many ways to get involved, and we need your help! This is an orientation for those brand new to DSA, those who want a refresher, or those looking for new ways to plug in to the work of the chapter. It will include an introduction to democratic socialism, the work of CDSA, and information about our many campaigns.
- Stand Up For Education Justice Rally and March; 1:30 – 6 PM; Chicago Temple Building, 77 W. Washington Blvd.
Two unions. Teachers, staff, and park district workers—35,000 strong. Standing together in solidarity for one purpose: to build a movement for the schools Chicago’s students deserve. We ask you to stand with us, too. On Monday, Oct. 14, the Chicago Teachers Union and the Service Employees International Union will hold an indoor rally followed by a march through downtown Chicago. And if Mayor Lightfoot still won’t put it in writing, we’ll be on strike starting October 17.
- Labor Branch Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Join the labor branch as we get together for our monthly meeting to discuss the current status of labor in the city. This will include updates on our CPS Solidarity campaign towards aiding CTU/SEIU, updates on NNU and U of C for striking nurses, and more from our own Strike and Solidarity committee.
- CDSA For Bernie Debate Watch Party; 3140 W. Chicago Ave.
Our favorite boy Bernie Sanders is back on the debate stage! Come out and show your support, and meet other like-minded folks as we watch the latest Democratic Debate.
- Green New Deal Canvass Phonebanking Happy Hour; 6 – 9 PM; Haymarket Pub and Brewing, 737 W. Randolph Ave.
Ready to take action for Bernie and the Green New Deal? Join us for a phonebanking happy hour to help us mobilize our membership to hit the doors next weekend! #DemocratizeComEd and Chicago DSA for Bernie will be canvassing to spread the word about Bernie and his Green New Deal plan calling for public ownership of utilities, and how it connects to our own #DemocratizeComEd campaign for democratic ownership of our electricity in Chicago.
- #FreeHeartlandKids Friday Action; 4:30 – 6:30 PM; Heartland Alliance HQ, 208 S. LaSalle St.
Hundreds of immigrant children are being detained in our backyard. Heartland Alliance is a Chicago-based nonprofit org that has historically focused on anti-poverty and immigration issues. Heartland currently operates 5 child detention centers and, until recently, 2 in Des Plaines. Currently, over 350 children are detained by Heartland. The Chicago DSA Immigrants Rights Committee is fighting back. This is a nonviolent action. We especially do not want to put participants who may be vulnerable on account of their documentation status at risk of arrest during this action. Ultimately, of course, the relevant authorities are responsible for how they choose to respond to our nonviolent action, but it is important that participants understand that a nonviolent action is what the the Free Heartland Kids campaign is engaging in for this week. ALL ARE WELCOME! We will have signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more depending on the time and day. You can show up with nothing but your principles, and we will have material and information to offer you. If you would like to bring your own signs, banners, leaflets, petitions, chants, and more, we welcome them!
- CDSA For Bernie Green New Deal Canvasses; 11 AM – 2 PM; North Pulaski Library, 4300 W. North Ave. & Sip and Savor, 5301 S. Hyde Park Blvd.
Join the CDSA for Bernie campaign and the Democratize ComEd campaign to canvass our neighbors to build support for Bernie and a Green New Deal! Training will be offered before canvass begins. All experience levels welcome! North side folks will meet at the North Pulaski Library, Southsiders will meet at Sip and Savor in Hyde Park.
- Executive Committee Meeting; 12 – 2 PM; CDSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
If there is a proposal you would like to bring to the EC, please email both Chapter Co-Chairs ([email protected] & [email protected]) or fill out this form (https://forms.gle/2MeCTaJcWbuENNUR6) before the end of the day Sunday 10/13. As a reminder, all CDSA members are welcome to attend, but only EC members can vote. The agenda will be sent out by email later this week.
- West Cook Medicare For All and Bernie 2020 Fundraiser; 7 – 9 PM; 3240 W. Fulton Ave.
The West Cook branch of CDSA invites you to a fundraiser on October 19, 2019. The purpose of this event is to raise funds for CDSA’s campaigns for Bernie’s Sanders for President and Medicare for All. There will be food and beverages, a backyard fire, a raffle, and lots of good cheer. The suggested donation is $27 and you can choose the campaign to which your donation will be applied. Please RSVP by Friday, October 18th. RSVP here: http://bit.ly/356jeeb
- Socialist Night School: Ecosocialism; 1 – 3 PM; Location TBA
At this Socialist Night School we will talk about the concept of ecosocialism, the fight for climate justice and against environmental racism, and how we can build an environmentally sustainable socialist future.
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- The Electoral Working Group would like to announce that its endorsement questionnaire is now available! Requests can be sent to [email protected].
- If you are a CDSA meber but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at [email protected] and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to [email protected] to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- No Sanctions, No War on Iran Ad Hoc Committee Update: The Ad Hoc committee held an educational at the CDSA general membership meeting on September 29. Thanks to all who attended. We have developed both basic background reading and a more developed reading list on Iran, the history of the development of the Gulf states, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, oil and the geopolitics of oil. You can find these here. Please visit, like and invite others to our Facebook page. We are planning to hold more educational and organizational meetings on a few campuses in the coming weeks. If interested, to find out more, or to work with the committee, contact: Saman at [email protected] and Sophie at [email protected]
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!