Good Morning Chicago DSA,
The CPS Strike rolls on! Thanks to everyone who has turned out so far to a picket or a rally in a show of solidarity with CPS workers across the city. It’s been amazing to see the outpouring of support, even as neoliberal and corporate interests try to tear us down. Remember that there will (unless negotiations swing wildly in the next 24 hours or so) continue to be pickets and such this week, and don’t forget to throw some money in for #BreadForEd if you can.
In other news, we’ve got another slate of meetings and canvasses coming up this week. An anti-Trump rally? Yep. Bernie? You bet. Anthony Clark? Of course. Plus the crown jewel (I almost said “crown ghoul” which would be both nonsensical and a horrible pun) on Halloween, with a costume party in support of Bernie Sanders. What could be scarier than fighting our capitalist overlords?
Oh, and in news that I find exciting but that you likely do not care about, the time zone on the CDSA website calendar has been fixed! Until a few days ago, all the events were posted in Greenwich Mean Time, rather than Central Standard Time, but now they’re fixed! So if you like to export the website events to you Google Calendar or iCal, you will no longer have any issues.
Keep up the good work, comrades. I’ll see you out there.
- Anthony Clark for Congress Canvass – Garfield Park; 11:30 AM – 3 PM; Garfield Park Conservatory, 300 N. Central Park Ave.
Help get CDSA-endorsed Anthony Clark on the ballot! We’re meeting in Horticulture Hall at Garfield Park Conservatory at 11:30am for training. No experience needed! RSVP here: tinyurl.com/ACcanvass
- Red Ed: Marx Reading Group Session 2; 6 – 8 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Please join us to begin the first chapter of Capital volume 1, “The Commodity,” in which Marx starts his journey through capitalism with what at first glance makes our economic system different from all others: the appearance of numerous commodities for exchange. We expect the discussion to last around an hour and half (give or take), and we will use feminist discussion principles to conduct a facilitated discussion. No prior experience w Marx required, but we will kept the conversation text based, so we hope people who join us will be able to complete the reading. If you need the reading material, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide you with a PDF version.
- Trump, Get Out Of Our House!; 11:30 AM – 3 PM; Wacker and Wabash
Trump is coming to Chicago to fund-raise. He needs to hear us loud and clear: Not in our house! The last time Trump tried to come to Chicago at UIC Pavilion, the Chicago community showed up, forcing Trump to cancel and leave town. We need to do that again, but it’s going to take *all of us*! This is a fluid situation with both time and location TBD. We may not know until the day of when or where we’ll be needed. Click tickets or the link below to sign up to receive information about the rally as it becomes available: https://secure.everyaction.com/ybD0_rSIDUmIgXJ-JGItOQ2
- Communicatons Committee Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Join the CDSA Communications Committee for our October meeting! We’ll be discussing social media, video, podcast, our print publication, and our Arts & Culture team. We’ve got a lot of projects to work on, and if you’ve never been to a CDSA meeting before, the smaller working group meetings are a great way to get involved. Our meetings are open to members and non-members, and we hope you’ll join us!
- Political Education & Policy Committee Meeting; 6:30 – 8 PM; Zoom Teleconference
Please RSVP for the Political Education & Policy Committee Meeting and we will send you the video conference info. We will be discussing our policy newsletter, the Red Star Bulletin, our Socialist Night Schools, some bylaws for our committee, and other new business. Please note that for voting purposes, you should have attended a Political Education Committee meeting or retreat in the last three months. RSVP: https://forms.gle/h5z26XBSC6MQ3Y3W9
- Health Care Working Group Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Come check out Chicago DSA’s efforts to fight for health justice and make Medicare For All a reality! This is the monthly meeting for both Chicago DSA’s Medicare for All Campaign and Health Care Working Group. We will be discussing our ongoing work to canvass, support community health, build coalitions, and more! All are welcome, including non-DSA folks.
- #FreeHeartlandKids Campaign Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Join the Free Heartland Kids campaign to work toward the abolition of child immigrant detention in Chicago and beyond! We’ll be discussing the Campaign to Close The Concentration Camps march and launching next big actions. We’ll also be discussing updates on our big research project.
- Environmental Justice Working Group Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Please come to the monthly meeting of the Environmental Justice Working Group! We will be holding a reading group and continuing to discuss how to support the #DemocratizeComEd campaign, as well as how to move forward as a working group.
- The Horrors of Capitalism: A CDSA for Bernie Halloween Party and Fundraiser; 7 – 11:59 PM; In These Times, 2040 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Wondering what the world will look like if we don’t stop capitalism? Join the Chicago DSA for Bernie campaign for a night of tricks and haunts in the efforts to stop the evils of capitalism in its tracks. All welcome, if you dare.
- CDSA For Bernie Northside Canvass; 10 AM – 2 PM; Location TBD
Join us as we knock doors for Bernie Sanders and a Democratic Socialist future! Exact location to be determined, check back for more details.
- CPAC City-wide Canvass; Noon – 3 PM; 53rd and Blackstone or Howard Red Line Stop
Community control of the police is an urgent priority for the city of Chicago. On Saturday November 2nd, in advance of the next city council meeting, we’ll be talking to neighbors about why we need a Civilian Police Accountability Council (CPAC) that is democratically elected and accountable to the people, not to the Mayor or the police department. Join us at either of these locations across the city: Hyde Park – 4th/5th Wards, 53rd and Blackstone or Rogers Park – 49th Ward, North side of Howard Red Line Stop.
- STOLEN Launch: Grace Blakeley Conversation With Micah Uetricht; 6:30 – 8:30 PM; Volumes Bookcafe, 1474 N. Miwaukee Ave.
The power of the people compels you! A Halloween exorcism with Grace Blakeley and Micah Uetricht. Join us as we exorcise the capitalist ghouls who sacrifice our lives and those of future generations to their lust for wealth and power. Leading us in the exorcism will be Grace Blakeley, author of ‘Stolen: How to Save the World from Financialization’, published on September 10th by Repeater Books, and Micah Uetricht, managing editor of Jacobin, author of ‘Strike for America’, and member of the Democratic Socialists of America. There will be refreshments and candies. Dressing up is encouraged.
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- The Electoral Working Group would like to announce that its endorsement questionnaire is now available! Requests can be sent to email@example.com.
- If you are a CDSA meber but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- No Sanctions, No War on Iran Ad Hoc Committee Update: The Ad Hoc committee held an educational at the CDSA general membership meeting on September 29. Thanks to all who attended. We have developed both basic background reading and a more developed reading list on Iran, the history of the development of the Gulf states, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, oil and the geopolitics of oil. You can find these here. Please visit, like and invite others to our Facebook page. We are planning to hold more educational and organizational meetings on a few campuses in the coming weeks. If interested, to find out more, or to work with the committee, contact: Saman at firstname.lastname@example.org and Sophie at NoIranSanctions@gmail.com.
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!