Good Morning Chicago DSA,
The CPS Strike is over! Thanks to everyone who turned out so far to a picket or a rally in a show of solidarity with CPS workers across the city. In case you haven’t heard, SEIU 73 and CTU both reached historic deals this week to end their strikes. Everyone who had a hand in organizing, planning, negotiating, picketing, marching, etc. should be extremely proud of themselves.
CDSA Co-Chair Robin Peterson has declared this week a “DSA Holiday”, encouraging all of you to take a week to relax and recharge. I can’t very well do that because this email needs to go out, and there are still a few events on the calendar, but I strongly suggest you rest up this week, especially if you were on the front lines during the strike. You deserve it.
Keep up the good work, comrades. I’ll see you out there.
- Anthony Clark for Congress Canvass – Oak Park; 11:30 AM – 3 PM; L!VE Cafe, 163 S. Oak Park Ave.
Help get CDSA-endorsed Anthony Clark on the ballot! We’re meeting at the L!VE Cafe in Oak Park at 11:30am for training. No experience needed! RSVP here: tinyurl.com/ACcanvass
- Election Week: Phonebank for DSA Candidates; 5 – 8 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
NOTE: Bring a laptop/tablet and a charged phone! This is a national movement. DSA candidates are running around the country, and election day is THIS TUESDAY! Many of them will change their city the same way our City Council members have. They are fighting for similar issues — rent control, fighting corporate power, police accountability, union support and immigration sanctuary. Many of these DSA chapters phonebanked for our candidates — let’s phonebank for them! No previous experience required, just a laptop/tablet and a phone.
Candidates include (not comprehensive):
Shaun Scott, @SeattleDSA candidate for Seattle City Council.
https://twitter.com/ElectScott2019; Liliana Rivera Baiman is running for Columbus City Council.
Nicholas Da Silva, activist, organizer, and working-class Richmonder running for council.
Jivan Sobrinho-Wheeler, Candidate for Cambridge City Council, Member @Boston_DSA
- Anti-Racism Working Group Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Monthly meeting of Chicago DSA’s anti-racism working group. Following a discussion of a relevant topic, we will review our working group members’ ongoing efforts to support anti-racism-related activism in Chicago; upcoming events and event planning; and other matters members bring to the table. All are welcome!
- Socialist Night School: School to Prison Pipeline and Organizing for the Common Good; 7 – 9:30 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
At this Socialist Night School, we will be discussing the “Bargaining for the Common Good” framework that unions like the CTU have undertaken to organize in the interest of the working class. We’ll discuss how to use this framework to organize around issues like the school-to-prison pipeline that impact our workplaces and communities alike. Readings for the session can be found on the CDSA website event page or on Facebook.
- Executive Committee Meeting; Noon – 2 PM; Teamster City, 300 S. Ashland Ave.
If there is a proposal you would like to bring to the EC, please email both Chapter Co-Chairs (email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org) or fill out this form (https://forms.gle/2MeCTaJcWbuENNUR6) before the end of the day Sunday 11/3/2019. As a reminder, all CDSA members are welcome to attend, but only EC members can vote.
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- The Electoral Working Group would like to announce that its endorsement questionnaire is now available! Requests can be sent to email@example.com.
- If you are a CDSA meber but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- No Sanctions, No War on Iran Ad Hoc Committee Update: The Ad Hoc committee held an educational at the CDSA general membership meeting on September 29. Thanks to all who attended. We have developed both basic background reading and a more developed reading list on Iran, the history of the development of the Gulf states, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, oil and the geopolitics of oil. You can find these here. Please visit, like and invite others to our Facebook page. We are planning to hold more educational and organizational meetings on a few campuses in the coming weeks. If interested, to find out more, or to work with the committee, contact: Saman at firstname.lastname@example.org and Sophie at NoIranSanctions@gmail.com.
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!