Good Morning Chicago DSA,
I hope all of you had a good holiday weekend! Unfortunately, it’s time to get back to work now. Our next General Membership meeting is six days away, and I have a message for all of you from myself and my fellow CDSA officers:
Earlier this year, Chicago DSA’s membership voted to endorse Bernie and take on Bernie 2020 as a priority campaign. As the primary elections draw closer, we have a unique opportunity to unite our chapter’s priority campaigns around Bernie’s powerful and popular platform. Now is the time to make a meaningful decision about what it looks like for Chicago DSA to go all in for Bernie.
What does it mean to go “all in” for Bernie? Executive Committee members, CDSA for Bernie committee members, and campaign leaders have created this proposal for a strategy to grow our chapter and make more socialists, by talking to hundreds and thousands of working-class Chicagoans about Bernie’s message. Join us at our next general meeting to discuss and debate this important question ahead of our organization. The meeting with be at Chicago Teachers Union, 1901 W. Carroll Ave., on December 7 at 12:30 PM.
Keep up the good work, comrades. I’ll see you out there.
- Anti-Racism Working Group Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Come join Chicago DSA’s Anti-Racism Working Group for our December meeting. We’ll be discussing our Working Group’s ongoing efforts to support anti-racist activism in and around Chicago, as well as several *awesome* upcoming events that the Working Group will be sponsoring. If you’re interested in learning more about our group, or want to help plan some really great events – including a panel, a fundraiser, and more! – please join us at UE Hall (37 S. Ashland Ave.) on Tuesday, December 3rd, at 7pm.
- Health Care Working Group & Medicare for All Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; Co-Prosperity Sphere, 3219 S. Morgan St.
Come check out Chicago DSA’s efforts to fight for health justice and make Medicare For All a reality! This is the monthly meeting for both Chicago DSA’s Medicare for All Campaign and Health Care Working Group. We will be discussing our ongoing work to canvass, support community health, build coalitions, and more! All are welcome, including non-DSA folks.
- General Membership Meeting; 12:30 – 4 PM; Chicago Teachers Union, 1901 W. Carroll Ave.
Check-in begins at 12:30; please arrive early so that we can start promptly at 1:00 and end at 4:00. This meeting is open to all, though only CDSA members in good standing are able to vote. Please RSVP using this form (http://bit.ly/12-7RSVP) by 11:59PM on Friday December 6.
- Socialist Night School: What Will Socialism Look Like?; 12 – 2:30 PM; Location TBD
At this Socialist Night School we will dive into theories of what a socialist society will look like and the paths to get there. Socialism is not just about critiquing capitalism and its failures, but painting a vision for a new, more just and freer world for all people. What goes into that vision though? Is socialism a specific vision of particular things, or a world built on a set of principles that can look any number of different ways? Join us to discuss how we even build a vision of a socialist future and some of the ways people have thought about–and dreamed out–this in the past. The readings can be found at the link above.
- Campaigns Coffee Hour; 3 – 5 PM; Build Coffee, 6100 S. Blackstone Ave.
Join Chicago DSA at Build Coffee for this opportunity to socialize and learn about our chapter campaigns! New members and interested non-members are welcome!
- The US Healthcare system sucks. That’s not news. But we want to hear from you on exactly why you believe we need Medicare For All. Tell us your story of how insufficient or exploitative or expensive healthcare radicalized you! We will be publishing some stories on Midwest Socialist, so be sure to keep an eye out!
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- The Electoral Working Group would like to announce that its endorsement questionnaire is now available! Requests can be sent to email@example.com.
- If you are a CDSA member but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- No Sanctions, No War on Iran Ad Hoc Committee Update: The Ad Hoc committee held an educational at the CDSA general membership meeting on September 29. Thanks to all who attended. We have developed both basic background reading and a more developed reading list on Iran, the history of the development of the Gulf states, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, oil and the geopolitics of oil. You can find these here. Please visit, like and invite others to our Facebook page. We are planning to hold more educational and organizational meetings on a few campuses in the coming weeks. If interested, to find out more, or to work with the committee, contact: Saman at firstname.lastname@example.org and Sophie at NoIranSanctions@gmail.com.
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!