Good Morning Chicago DSA,
I don’t have anything in particular to say this week, except that I’m really excited for tomorrow’s Iowa Caucuses. Bernie’s gonna win, friends.
I don’t wish to speak for them too much, but I want to bring it to everyone’s attention that our current Harrassment and Grievance Officers (HGOs), who do an excellent job and who deserve recognition for the crucial work they do, intend to step back from their roles in the coming months. We, as an organization, cannot do what we do without an effective group of HGOs, so if you are willing to take on that role, or if you just want to know more about what our HGOs do, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep up the good work, comrades. I’ll see you out there.
- Canvass for Bernie and Anthony Clark – Grand Boulevard; 1:15 – 5 PM; Hall Branch Library, 4801 S. Michigan Ave.
Join as we knock doors for Bernie Sanders and Anthony Clark for Congress in the Bronzeville/Grand Boulevard neighborhood! This location is ADA compliant but unfortunately does not have gender neutral restrooms.
- Iowa Caucus Watch Party; 7 – 11 PM; The Hideout, 1354 W. Wabansia
Join Chicago DSA comrades in watching the results of the Iowa Caucuses and prepare for the next stages of the Bernie campaign! This location is ADA compliant and does have gender neutral restrooms.
- South Suburban CDSA For Bernie Student Organizing Kick Off; 6 – 8 PM; Park Forest Library, 400 Lakewood Blvd.
Join us on Tuesday as we kick off our Chicago DSA for Bernie student organizing effort in the south suburbs! RSVP: bit.ly/2RNEjoR
- Anti-Racism Working Group Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
The Anti-Racism Working Group is meeting to discuss next steps in building a forum/panel discussion event on the effects of gentrification, forthcoming political education, canvassing opportunities, and more! Unfortunately this location isn’t ADA compliant and does not have gender neutral restrooms.
- CDSA for Bernie Uptown Canvassing Meeting; 7 – 8 PM; 931 W. Leland Ave.
Come join CDSA for Bernie as we make our plans to win Uptown for Bernie! If you live near Uptown and want to get involved in leading and planning our canvassing work, this is the meeting for you. The March 17 primary will be upon us before you know it, so there’s no better time to get involved! This location isn’t ADA compliant unfortunately (up two flights of stairs) but does have a gender neutral restroom. We’ll be in apartment 301.
- Bernie Debate Watch Party – Humboldt Park; 7 – 10 PM; 4100 W. North Ave.
Join us as we watch the debate and cheer on Bernie Sanders and plan future events in the Humboldt Park area! Unfortunately, this location is not ADA compliant but it does have gender neutral restrooms.
- Uptown Canvass For Bernie; 10 AM – 1 PM; Bezazian Branch Library, 1226 W. Ainslie St.
Join us on Saturday in Uptown! We’re talking to our neighbors about Bernie and building on the momentum from the Iowa caucus to win the Illinois primary on March 17!
- CDSA Lift The Ban Organizing Retreat; 3 – 6 PM; Teamster City, 300 S. Ashland Ave.
This is the year we lift the billionaire’s ban on rent control in Illinois. In Lift the Ban CDSA’s first meeting of the year, we’re having an organizing retreat to discuss organizing tenants and unions, legislative strategy, electing new committee leadership, and more!
- Humboldt Park Tabling/Street Canvass for Bernie; noon – 3 PM; 4100 W. North Ave.
Come canvass neighbors in Humboldt Park this Sunday!
We’ll be talking to folks by North Ave & Pulaski about Bernie, Chicago DSA, and the better world we’re organizing for. We will be meeting at 4100 W North Ave, Apt 2 at 12:00pm. Unfortunately, this location isn’t ADA compliant but does have gender neutral restrooms. (Call/text Alec at 312-860-6591 if you have any trouble finding us!) RSVP: bit.ly/29hpc4b
- If you have a proposal for the CDSA Executive Committe, you can use this form to submit it. Please indicate whether you want your proposal to be voted on in person or online, and if you select in person, the proposal must be submitted by the Sunday before the next Executive Committee Meeting.
- SAVE THE DATE: CDSA’s first two general chapter meetings have been scheduled.
Saturday 4/4, 12:30 – 4:00 at CTU (1901 W. Carroll)
- 3/25: deadline to submit agenda items to co-chairs
- 3/28: agenda will be circulated
Saturday 6/20, 12:30 – 4:00 at CTU (1901 W. Carroll)
- 6/3: deadline to submit agenda items to co-chairs
- 6/6: agenda will be circulated.
- The US Healthcare system sucks. That’s not news. But we want to hear from you on exactly why you believe we need Medicare For All. Tell us your story of how insufficient or exploitative or expensive healthcare radicalized you! We will be publishing some stories on Midwest Socialist, so be sure to keep an eye out!
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- If you are a CDSA member but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at email@example.com and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- No Sanctions, No War on Iran Ad Hoc Committee Update: The Ad Hoc committee held an educational at the CDSA general membership meeting on September 29. Thanks to all who attended. We have developed both basic background reading and a more developed reading list on Iran, the history of the development of the Gulf states, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, oil and the geopolitics of oil. You can find these here. Please visit, like and invite others to our Facebook page. We are planning to hold more educational and organizational meetings on a few campuses in the coming weeks. If interested, to find out more, or to work with the committee, contact: Saman at email@example.com and Sophie at NoIranSanctions@gmail.com.
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!