Good Morning Chicago DSA,
First of all, let’s get this out of the way: Bernie won Iowa. We’re winning, we’re gonna keep winning, and we’re gonna win.
In other news, we’ve got the Young Democratic Socialists of America (YDSA) convention happening here in Chicago this weekend! Thank you to everyone who has agreed to host YDSA people who are coming into town for the convention, as well as people who have volunteered to help run the convention itself. It’s awesome to see so many young (I’m only 27 myself, so take that with a grain of salt) people who are ready to take on the system and fight for a better world.
Keep up the good work, comrades. I’ll see you out there.
- CDSA For Bernie: Wilson Station Canvass; 11 AM – 3 PM; Emerald City Coffee, 1224 W. Wilson Ave.
Join CDSA for Bernie as we talk to Chicagoans at the Wilson Red Line station about democratic socialism and electing Bernie Sanders! We will meet at Emerald City Coffee on Wilson Ave. before heading to the station. Don’t worry if you can’t make it right at 11 AM — you can come through anytime between 11 PM and 3 PM.
- Humboldt Park Tabling/Street Canvass for Bernie; noon – 3 PM; 4100 W. North Ave.
Come canvass neighbors in Humboldt Park this Sunday! We’ll be talking to folks by North Ave & Pulaski about Bernie, Chicago DSA, and the better world we’re organizing for. We will be meeting at 4100 W North Ave, Apt 2 at 12:00pm. Unfortunately, this location isn’t ADA compliant but does have gender neutral restrooms. (Call/text Alec at 312-860-6591 if you have any trouble finding us!) RSVP here.
- CDSA For Bernie: Lakeview Canvass; 4:30 – 6:30 PM; Chicago Bagel Authority, 955 W. Belmont Ave.
Join us on Monday in Lakeview! We’re talking to our neighbors about Bernie and building on the momentum from the Iowa caucus to win the Illinois primary on March 17!
- Free Heartland Kids Campaign Meeting; 7 – 9 PM; Chicago DSA Office, 3411 W. Diversey Ave.
Join the Free Heartland Kids campaign to work toward the abolition of child immigrant detention in Chicago and beyond! The CDSA office is located at 3411 W Diversey. There is a buzzer next to the door, look for CDSA on the menu to call and someone will buzz you in. (If no one picks up, you might be early!) Once you’re inside take the elevator to the second floor. The meeting will be down the hallway to your left when you exit the elevator. It is wheelchair accessible, but the bathrooms are not gender neutral.
- Health Care Working Group & M4A Campaign Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; STOP Chicago Office, 602 E. 61st St.
Come check out and get involved in Chicago DSA’s fight for Medicare for All! At this monthly meeting, we’ll be working on the ways we’re fighting for Medicare for All through our campaign for Bernie Sanders, as well as our campaigns targeting Reps. Lipinski and Quigley. Come check it out!
- Labor Branch Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Join us for the Feb Labor branch meeting, where we will be talking about directions for the branch in 2020, organizing the unorganized, and more.
- Southwest Side New Hampshire Primary Watch Party; 7:30 – 11 PM; One City Tap, 3115 S. Archer Ave.
Join us to watch the results of the New Hampshire primary and learn about opportunities to get involved with Chicago DSA’s Bernie campaign!
- AfroSocialists + Socialists of Color Caucus Meeting; 6:30 – 8 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
Join the Afrosocialist + Socialist of Color Caucus for our monthly meeting. We’ll be discussing current events, campaigns around the city, and more. Unfortunately, this location is not ADA compliant and doesn’t have gender neutral restrooms.
- Unite, Fight, Win: YDSA 2020 Winter Conference; Friday, 6 PM – Sunday, 3 PM; Chicago Teachers Union, 1901 W. Carroll Ave.
Join hundreds of fellow YDSA members in Chicago the weekend of Feb. 14-16, 2020 for organizing training, political education, strategy discussions, and more. We’ll be announcing workshops, plenaries, and speakers in the coming months – all focused on our 2020 theme “Unite, Fight, Win!”. This location is ADA compliant and has gender neutral restrooms.
- Political Education Committee Annual Planning Retreat; 1 – 6 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave.
This event is open to all Chicago DSA members who are interested in helping plan our political education program for 2020! At this meeting we will debrief the fall semester of the Socialist Night School, discuss our facilitation program, plan the 2020 semesters of the Socialist Night School, plan and organize the Red Star Bulletin and our policy development program, discuss planning for political education arts & cultural program like movie nights, art shows, and more, and discuss holding more strategic political education events, such as forums and debates. The retreat is fairly intensive as we hope to set up teams and subcommittees to plan and organize for our extensive political education program. If you are interested in participating in our Socialist Night School program, learn how to do policy research and local and state government analysis, or have an interest in developing a political education cultural program, please join us! FOOD WILL BE PROVIDED!
- CPS Strike Town Hall; 5 – 6:30 PM; Que4, 2643 W. Chicago Ave.
In October, nearly 10% of the population of Chicago went out on strike. Not only did they fight for the wages and benefits they deserve, but they fought for the common good, targeting billionaires and the city’s neoliberal power structure that has held the working class of Chicago under austerity for far too long. They won incredible concessions from a popular mayor who was shown to be Rahm 2.0, and these workers continue to be a beacon for education strikes all over the country. Join the CDSA Labor Branch as we host a live taping of the podcast Class Time With Kenzo Shibata (www.patreon.com/KenzoShibata), talking to rank and filers of the Chicago Teachers Union and SEIU Local 73 about the strike and how the fight continues even after the strike ends. Unfortunately, this location is not ADA compliant.
- If you have a proposal for the CDSA Executive Committe, you can use this form to submit it. Please indicate whether you want your proposal to be voted on in person or online, and if you select in person, the proposal must be submitted by the Sunday before the next Executive Committee Meeting.
- SAVE THE DATE: CDSA’s first two general chapter meetings have been scheduled.
Saturday 4/4, 12:30 – 4:00 at CTU (1901 W. Carroll)
- 3/25: deadline to submit agenda items to co-chairs
- 3/28: agenda will be circulated
Saturday 6/20, 12:30 – 4:00 at CTU (1901 W. Carroll)
- 6/3: deadline to submit agenda items to co-chairs
- 6/6: agenda will be circulated.
- The US Healthcare system sucks. That’s not news. But we want to hear from you on exactly why you believe we need Medicare For All. Tell us your story of how insufficient or exploitative or expensive healthcare radicalized you! We will be publishing some stories on Midwest Socialist, so be sure to keep an eye out!
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- If you are a CDSA member but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- No Sanctions, No War on Iran Ad Hoc Committee Update: The Ad Hoc committee held an educational at the CDSA general membership meeting on September 29. Thanks to all who attended. We have developed both basic background reading and a more developed reading list on Iran, the history of the development of the Gulf states, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, oil and the geopolitics of oil. You can find these here. Please visit, like and invite others to our Facebook page. We are planning to hold more educational and organizational meetings on a few campuses in the coming weeks. If interested, to find out more, or to work with the committee, contact: Saman at firstname.lastname@example.org and Sophie at NoIranSanctions@gmail.com.
Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
Forward this email to your friends!