Good Morning Chicago DSA,
It’s been a rather depressing week, to be sure, but we’re going to win. I still believe that. Seeing the (estimated) fifteen thousand people show up to yesterday’s Bernie rally here in Chicago helped, though it also triggered a major jealousy episode, as I had to work during the rally. We’re all in this together, and solidarity alone will defeat the forces arrayed against us.
In related news, please remember that the Illinois Democratic Primary, where you can vote for both Bernie Sanders and CDSA Member Anthony Clark (if you live in Illinois’ 7th Congressional District), is less than two weeks away! Make sure you’re registered to vote, and remember that if you’re in line when the polls close, they are legally required to let you vote!
Also, one last thing, our very own #DemocratizeComEd campaign is hosting a Town Hall on March 21 (more info below, under the Bulletin Board section), and you should be there.
Keep up the good work, comrades. I’ll see you out there.
Monday, March 9
- Buena Park Canvass For Bernie; 4:30 – 6:30 PM; Emerald City Coffee, 3938 N. Sheridan Rd. We’re talking to our neighbors about Bernie and building momentum to win the Illinois primary on March 17! The entrance to this location is accessible but the restrooms are not. The restrooms are gender neutral however.
Tuesday, March 10
- Labor Branch Meeting; 7 – 8:30 PM; U.E. Hall, 37 S. Ashland Ave. Join the Chicago DSA Labor branch as we give updates on our ongoing projects, prepare for Labor Notes in April, and plan for Earth Day and May Day. Unfortunately, this location isn’t ADA compliant and does not have gender neutral restrooms.
Wednesday, March 11
- Humboldt Park Tabling For Bernie; 5:30 – 7:30 PM; 1118 N. Mozart Ave. Join us for a weeknight tabling for Bernie in Humboldt Park. We’ll be talking to our neighbors about the movement we’re building to win Medicare For All, Housing For All, a Green New Deal, and so much more! This location isn’t ADA compliant but it does have gender neutral restrooms.
Thursday, March 12
- Uptown Phone Bank For Bernie; 6 – 8 PM; Uptown Library, 929 W. Buena Ave. Join us to mobilize voters in Uptown high rises to vote for Bernie Sanders! This phone bank both lets you stay warm & contact infrequently contacted voters, since high rises are almost always inaccessible on foot. IMPORTANT: Please bring a cell phone and laptop, just don’t forget your chargers! Headphones or a headset are also recommended if you have them. This location is ADA compliant. It does not have gender neutral restrooms but they are single use.
Saturday, March 14
- Humboldt Park Canvass For Bernie; 10 AM – 1:30 PM; North Pulaski Library, 4300 W. North Ave. Join us for our weekly Humboldt Park canvass for Bernie. We’ll be talking to our neighbors about the movement we’re building to win Medicare For All, Housing For All, a Green New Deal, and so much more! RSVP here: https://actionnetwork.org/events/humboldt-park-canvass-for-bernie-5. This location is ADA compliant.
- Uptown Canvass For Bernie; 10 AM – 2 PM; Bezazian Branch Library, 1226 W. Ainslie St. Join us in Uptown as we canvass for Bernie! We’ll be talking to our neighbors about the movement we’re building to win Medicare For All, Housing For All, a Green New Deal, and so much more. This location is ADA compliant but unfortunately doesn’t have gender neutral restrooms.
- If you have a proposal for the CDSA Executive Committe, you can use this form to submit it. Please indicate whether you want your proposal to be voted on in person or online, and if you select in person, the proposal must be submitted by the Sunday before the next Executive Committee Meeting.
- SAVE THE DATE: CDSA’s first two general chapter meetings have been scheduled. Saturday 4/4, 12:30 – 4:00 at CTU (1901 W. Carroll)
- 3/25: deadline to submit agenda items to co-chairs
- 3/28: agenda will be circulated
- 6/3: deadline to submit agenda items to co-chairs
- 6/6: agenda will be circulated.
- Help us drive turnout at this upcoming TOWN HALL! The Democratize ComEd Campaign is working to get our utilities under public control by the time the City’s contract is renewed on Dec 31, 2020. Doing so empowers working families to be more energy secure as well as puts Chicagoans in the driving seat to decarbonize. Public ownership of utilities is a core part of the GND! On March 21st in Rogers Park the campaign will be talking to residents and aiming to convince aldermen in high climate risk wards to get behind the movement. RSVP online and follow us @DemComEd on Twitter and Instagram. Can’t canvass, but interested in helping out on the day of the town hall? We need people to help welcome attendees, get folks signed in, handle mics, set up/take down, table, and more: https://forms.gle/1eccwhScNh8ToQXX6
- If you would like to receive our Red Star Bulletin, providing you with news and analysis from all over Chicago, fill out this form.
- The Strike and Solidarity Committee is looking for strike captains! If you’re interested in being a strike captain (no experience required!), fill out this survey about the times and areas where you could help. They have also set up an SMS system to keep people posted about strike and solidarity actions. People that want to get updates should text SOLIDARITY to 55222.
- If you are a CDSA member but aren’t on the CDSA Slack Channel yet, and would like to be, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get you set up with it.
- Grievance Policy. If you ever feel you are being harassed by another member of DSA, or made to feel uncomfortable by a member, or have a conflict with another member, please reach out to email@example.com to get in touch with our chapter’s Harassment and Grievance Officers.
- No Sanctions, No War on Iran Ad Hoc Committee Update: The Ad Hoc committee held an educational at the CDSA general membership meeting on September 29. Thanks to all who attended. We have developed both basic background reading and a more developed reading list on Iran, the history of the development of the Gulf states, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, oil and the geopolitics of oil. You can find these here. Please visit, like and invite others to our Facebook page. We are planning to hold more educational and organizational meetings on a few campuses in the coming weeks. If interested, to find out more, or to work with the committee, contact: Saman at firstname.lastname@example.org and Sophie at NoIranSanctions@gmail.com.
- Fill out this form immediately if you have CDSA organized/sponsored event you want on the calendar. Submissions must be in by the preceding Friday at the latest to make this email.
- Check out the events page on our website for the most up date list of events.
- Forward this email to your friends!
Caleb Nordgren CDSA Website | CDSA Facebook | CDSA Twitter | CDSA Instagram | CDSA YouTube If you have an event that you want promoted on CDSA calendar & social media accounts, please fill out this form as soon as possible.